Monday, May 6, 2024

 


Psalm 89:37  - The Moon ... "a faithful witness"

My grandson pointed this out to me one evening. So here's a story to go with that wonderful realization.

THE MOON IS STILL THERE 

Being a Grandfather is important business. Especially as a deputy for three-year-old detectives.

Silas pointed into the early evening sky. "Gampa, Look! The Moon is still there!"

There, beyond the neighbor’s backyard was a bright yellow disc rising in the sky. Just the night before, Silas had spotted that disc way up high, as it was time to go indoors and get ready for bed. But during the daytime, Silas noticed the Moon was nowhere to be seen. It wasn’t until this evening as we finished rounding up the chickens and locking up the coop that he spotted the large, glowing, yellow spot across the neighbor’s field.

We walked a little further. “Can you see the Moon now?” I asked.  He leaned around my legs, his left hand still grasping mine and looked up and over the neighbor’s rooftop.

“uh huh. It’s still there.  It’s playing peek-a-boo!"

We walked along the side of the house, up to the driveway. “Is the Moon still there?”

Silas nodded. He pointed through the treetops. “The Moon is right there.”

His eyes got wide and his eyebrows went up. He tilted his head left. He tilted his head right and stared wide-eyed. “Now the trees and the Moon are playing peek-a-boo!”

We walked around the house. The daylight was almost completely gone. “What about now?”

“Gampa, your house is in the way,” he scolded. He let go of my hand, ran back to the front corner, and peered around the hedges. “It’s still there, Gampa!"

He came back, took my hand again, and pulled me toward the forest behind our house. Into the woods we walked. Puddles filled the tractor ruts along the trail so we slowed to a stop. Silas looked around. Darkness clung to the trees, the bushes, and the path.

Then he spotted it. Up the trail aways was a bright spot jiggling in a puddle. “Gampa, look!”

Silas hauled me over to the puddle. But the spot was gone. “Where did it go, Gampa?” He put his hand to his chin and thought for a few seconds while staring at the water. Then he looked up at me.

Silas drew in a startled breath. I could see a huge grin quickly replace the look of surprise. “THERE IT IS! THE MOON IS RIGHT THERE!”

Behind my darkened outline peered the Moon, bright and through the tree limbs, up where Silas was poking his little finger again and again.

“So, the Moon is still up there, is it?” His smile changed to a smirk as he caught the teasing in my voice.  “GAMMMPAAA”

Silas wasn’t going to let me get away with teasing over this important discovery.

 “I guess we proved you were right all along, Silas,” I confessed. “The Moon is still there, even over the woods!”

 Later that evening as I was tucking Silas into bed, he looked up at me.

“Gampa?“

“Yes, Silas.”

“I’m glad the Moon is still there.”

“Me, too, Silas. Me, too.”

And as I closed his door, Silas turned his head to see moonlight sifting through the window blinds.

Smiling, he closed his eyes and fell asleep. 


It's a wonderful realization; Seeing God's faithfulness shine through our circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment