Saturday, April 11, 2020

Advice from a Bubonic Plague survivor...

A friend of mine posted the following quote on her page. It is from Martin Luther, during the reformation period of European history. I am re-posting it here because I believe this is quality advice for my personal response to the contemporary scene.


Martin Luther’s advice, 
made during the time of the bubonic plague:
I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God.1

Martin Luther in a letter to Rev. Dr. John Hess, found in Luther’s Works, Volume 43 (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1968), 132.

To see more of my friend's post - check it out here: From <https://reasons.org/explore/blogs/theorems-theology/read/theorems-theology/2020/04/09/bringing-hope-to-the-covid-19-days-ahead?fbclid=IwAR1B281ot0JMBSPm9h-pKAzvicnIQ0QHoAA5bFuJnloUZUa2s0445tZBQK4>



No comments:

Post a Comment